Thread: Deadlifts only every other week?

Stone_Sour is offline NPC Heavyweight

Eek7 Deadlifts only every other week?

Hey guys, i was reading up on a few pointers to up my deadlift. Im hovering at 505-515 and my goal is 555. I ran across this website that said if you have a routine in which you do squats and deadlifts in the same week that you should do deadlifts every other week because doing them every week would deminish its "effects" and you'll eventually over train. what are your opinions? i currently do chest monday, back tuesday, wed break, shoulders arms, friday legs. here's the article.

Deadlift and Dead Lifting
    Best gym lifts:
    Benchpress: 365 lbs
    Squats: 505 lbs
    Military Press: 225 lbs
    Deadlift: 600

HawaiianPride. is offline The debate ender.
    I do them both in one week. It's never hindered my gains.

HP is is a fictional character and therefore any information given is for entertainment purposes only.

Scott. is offline NPC Lightweight
    Cosign HP. I don't particularly lift a lot of weight atm, but I deadlift every week and I've been seeing real gains every week :)
    160lbs 1RM stats - No gear

Squat: 230
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 360

MikeNYY420 is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    I do squats and variations of squats mostly, I only do deads once every couple months. My deadlifts still go up.
    Goals by mid September : 300 bench, 405 deadlift, 365 squat

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...ontest-26.html <--------- My log

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNYY420 View Post
    I do squats and variations of squats mostly, I only do deads once every couple months. My deadlifts still go up.
    Maybe I should try this as I need to get my squat up more. Cus my deadlift is OK if you look at my sig, but my squat is crappy I'm on FB routine so 3 times a week squatting, diff variations, then deadlift every other week or 3 weeks?

If you wanna do that then check out my westside barbell routine sticky in the powerlifting section, that's the best way to use the squat variations. Also the squat article I posted on your thread will help with the squat. Don't forget to box squat!

If you wanna do that then check out my westside barbell routine sticky in the powerlifting section, that's the best way to use the squat variations. Also the squat article I posted on your thread will help with the squat. Don't forget to box squat!
    Aite, cheers.

Famine is online now THE ORIGINAL ZOMBIE SLAYER
    In one of my 8-week routines, I do deadlifts after I do squats, and it does wear me out after a while, so I switch to my other 8-week routine that puts them 3 days apart. I've made gains just about every week for the past year doing it this way.

As for going every other week, I think that would be fine since you are pulling so much weight. But if it doesn't help you get to 555 after 2-3 months, I'd pull the plug and go back to every week.

Duality is offline V.I.P. Member
    To be honest i dont feel as strong if i pull every week, when i take a week off from deads then i feel more power if this makes any sense.

Like I did deads yesterday, today I can hardly walk lol. It's the first time I've done that weight.. The form was OK but I wasn't wearing a belt or straps or anything. My back is screaming :( So I think it's every other week for me haha.

A belt helps a lot for me with form when deadlifting, you should get one if you can. Practice sticking your abs out into the belt when you deadlift and squat to help support the lower back.

I have a belt I just choose not to use it, I mean it's only recently I've been able to start moving some decent weight (In my eyes, for 160lbs) but I guess it's best if I did.

Yeah that's good weight for 160, actually I was doing that same weight at 160 last year haha.

I 4m Legend is offline NPC Super Heavyweight
    Just saying, no other exercises but the squat and deadlift are as taxing to the CNS. I do not think that you can do both in a typical bodybuilding split without you deloading every couple weeks. You would either have to cut down on training days or frequency but I seriously doubt one can sustain the load without experiencing diminishing intensity.
    Bench 240 Dec 20th
    Deadlift 405x 2 Jan 2nd
    Squat 445x 1 Jan 10th

All depends on the person. A deload every couple of weeks isn't necessary. The CNS can be trained to taek higher and higher volumes of work. It's vital that you work up gradually and not load on all the volume at once. That's the time when a deload would be needed. But if you add sets and reps here and there when you're ready for them deads and squats can be used in the same split. Decrease the assistance work to allow for more sets/reps on the deads/squats, till you find the right amount of work for yourself.

Yeah I agree. Just saying that in a typical bodybuilding split where bodyparts are meant to be isolated each day it would be harder. The intensity and weights usually aren't periodized. I'm not sure if this is true but I see no reason why you can't train deadlifts and squats every day of the week without experiencing diminishing returns IF the load was low enough esch day.
    Bench 240 Dec 20th
    Deadlift 405x 2 Jan 2nd
    Squat 445x 1 Jan 10th

Well you can't train them everyday because larger muscle groups take up to 72 hours to recover. Deads should be done once a week and squats once a week. Or squats for two weeks then deads for two. There's a lot of ways to do it. I prefer the westside barbell routine because I get bigger, faster and stronger. On most bodybuilding splits you only get one or two of those things.

aild54 is offline Success never rests
    I'm a firm believer in hitting everything twice a week, as opposed to your typical "one muscle group a day" split. With this, you can have two leg days. One of which focusing on deads/hip dominant movements, the other focusing on squats/quadricep dominant movements.
    aild/Chris' log. Experience the intensity.

Research or STFU
    Everyday, max out.

I like that idea Chris. One day focus mainly on glutes and hamstrings and the other on quads. Squats involve the hips glutes and hamstrings to a high degree like the deadlift. The wider the stance the more true this becomes.

aild54 is offline Success never rests
    I like that idea Chris. One day focus mainly on glutes and hamstrings and the other on quads. Squats involve the hips glutes and hamstrings to a high degree like the deadlift. The wider the stance the more true this becomes.
    Thanks, Mike. I totally agree. The wider you get, the more the squat has a similar feel to the deadlift.
    aild/Chris' log. Experience the intensity.

Research or STFU
    Everyday, max out.

Well you can't train them everyday because larger muscle groups take up to 72 hours to recover. Deads should be done once a week and squats once a week. Or squats for two weeks then deads for two. There's a lot of ways to do it. I prefer the westside barbell routine because I get bigger, faster and stronger. On most bodybuilding splits you only get one or two of those things.
    I think you are overlooking a lot of variables. If I squatted 45x 10 for and deadlifted 45x 10 I doubt it would take me 72 hours to recover.
    Bench 240 Dec 20th
    Deadlift 405x 2 Jan 2nd
    Squat 445x 1 Jan 10th

Yeah but who does that? People go to the gym to work out.

I was obviously speaking in a hypothetical sense in the first post and you tried correcting me. Thats why I said "I see no reason why you can't." It really doesn't matter anymore I guess but it justs get annoying when people try to one up everything you say. Some people may choose a much higher frequency if they are an endurance athlete though to answer your question.
    Bench 240 Dec 20th
    Deadlift 405x 2 Jan 2nd
    Squat 445x 1 Jan 10th

Well after your first post I gave my opinion which happened to be the opposite of yours, that's what forums are for though. In that same sentence you also said "I'm not sure if this is true". So I simply gave my opinion, based on a variety of literature I had read stating the same. I wasn't saying it to correct or annoy you, I was saying it for the benefit of discussion/knowledge added to the thread. I don't know why you're annoyed by a simple difference in opinions.

I think we are saying the same thing... or maybe not I can't even tell anymore. Who cares, bottom line is certain people respond to higher volume better because they have a higher working capacity. Once you figure out your working capacity and listen to your body a split can be personalized for you by you to meet your needs. What I'm trying to say it different training works different for everyone and scheduled deloads become less useful the more advanced you become.