Thread: Developing outer arms

TylerDurden389 is offline NPC Heavyweight

Developing outer arms

Hey everyone, I'm having trouble developing my outer arms. I can't seem to get that outer bicep 'bump' underneath the the bicep peak that shows when flexing the arms from the outside or showing your arms from the back (most muscular pose, rear double biceps pose). Same problem with the triceps and how a fully developed outer arm pose shows two tricep muscles, the one under the biceps 'bump' and the longer, bigger head on the bottom.

I am quiete lean and don't really have much bodyfat (I wear a 26-30 waist size pant). I'm just over 5-2 and my weight goes from 133-143 pounds. So I don't think its fat that's covering the muscles. I've been working out for almost 9 years (with only an 8 month lay-off in 2004). I do this as a hobby and I never thought of trying to develop these muscles until about 4 months ago.

My biceps and triceps routine are as follows:

1. Standing barbell curls (straight bar, alternate shoulder grip and close grip each workout) 4 sets, 15,10, 8,6-7 reps

1A. Seated dumbell curls - 4 sets, 15, 10, 8, 6-7 reps

2. Preacher curls (Curl bar, alternate shoulder grip and close grip each workout) 4 sets, 15, 10, 8, 6-7 reps

2A. One-arm preacher curls, 4 sets, 15, 10, 8, 6-7 reps

3. Concentration curls done with elbow in close (I find doing these with the rep ending with the dumbell touching my chest instead of my shoulder really pumps up the outer bis) 4 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8 reps

3A. Incline dumbell curls - 4 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8 reps

I do biceps twice a week, one day I do the first exercises, the other day I do the A exercises. I do back, biceps and forearms on mondays and thursdays.

Triceps:

1. Parallell bar dips (Back upright to work tris instead of chest) 4 sets - 16, 12, 10, 10 reps

1A. Seated tricep extensions - 4 sets - 20, 12, 10, 8-9 reps

1B. Tricep kickbacks - 4 sets - 16-17, 12, 10, 10 reps

2. Dumbell french press - 4 sets - 15, 10, 8-9, 6-7 reps

2A. Seated barbell tricep extensions - 4 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8 reps

3. Lying barbell tricep extensions - 4 sets - 17-18, 13-14, 10,11, 8-9, reps

3A. Machine presses (alternate between elbows at sides and elbows out) 4 sets - 15, 12, 10, 8 reps

3B. Close grip bench presses (straight bar) - 4 sets - 15, 12, 10, 8-9 reps

The same thing applies as biceps, I change the exercises I do each workout. I do Shoulders, triceps and chest on wednesdays and saturdays. Obviously legs are tuesdays and fridays. I do neck on monday,wednesday and friday (neck crunches with a towel) and abs on tuesday, thursday and saturday.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

rIPPDUP is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    you might be over doing it with your arm workouts....here's my typical lifting schedule.

MON: Chest
    Incline Barbell or Dumbell Press
    Flat Barbell or Dumbell press
    Cable or Dumbell Fly's
    Incline Dumbell or Cable Fly's
    Push-Ups
    Calf Raises
    Crunches

TUES: Legs
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raises
    Crunches

WED: Back
    Close Grip Rows
    Wide Grip Rows
    1 Arm Dumbell Rows
    Cable or Dumbell Pull Downs/Overs
    Lat Pull Downs (Wide and Close Grip)
    30-45 Mins of Cardio

THURS: OFF

FRI: Arms (Bi's & Tri's)
    Standing Barbell Curls
    Preacher Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Tricep Press Down
    Scull Crushers
    Dips w/weight belt
    Machine Close Grip Curls
    Crunches
    Calf Raises

SAT: Shoulders
    Military Press
    Dumbell Raises
    Lateral Raises
    Delt Machine/or Rear Delt flys
    Shrugs
    Calf Raises
    Crunches

SUN: 30-45 mins of Cardio

i do 4 sets of each exercise and depending on the week...between 6-10 reps per exercise. try it out it might be something to look into.

rIPPDUP is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    also, when you are lifting change the direction of your wrists when you are at the peak of your curl (turning your wrists outward and inward for example)

roccodart440 is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    I agree. If he's doing that much work and not getting the results than it pretty much points to doing the wrong type of work or a chemical or eating deficiency.

My bicep routine done right after back.

Rope curls
    x15
    x12
    x10
    x8
    x6 immediatly doing a dropsets two plates per drop to failure

Next, go home.

Results 19+" arms.

I found my best results to be had with intense dropsets staring with heavy weight. 1-2 excersizes

I used to do straight bar curl dropsets with a 55 pound bar. 5 10's on each side. 5 reps per set drop one plate per set with no rest. I called it the 5x5.