Thread: Psychic & Fitness Expert in Hott Water!

ZiR RED is offline Featured Member of the Month

Psychic & Fitness Expert in Hott Water!

Psychic & Fitness Expert in Hott Water!

by Jamie Hale

Psychic busted again

The following quote is from Consumer Health Digest #10-07
    February 18, 2010 (Consumer Health Digest is a free weekly e-mail newsletter edited by Stephen Barrett, M.D., with help from William M. London, Ed.D)

”A detailed three-year study of alleged psychic Sylvia Browne's predictions about missing persons and murder cases has found that despite her repeated claims to be more than 85% correct, ‘Browne has not even been mostly correct in a single case.’ The study's authors collected Browne's televised statements about 115 cases and compared them with newspaper reports that are believed to be factual. They found that in 25 cases where the actual outcome is known, she was dead wrong in every one; and in the rest, where the final outcome is unknown, her predictions could not be substantiated. The study indicates that the media outlets that repeatedly promote Browne's work have no visible concern about whether she is untrustworthy or harms people.”
    [Shafer R, Jadwiszczok A. Psychic defective: Sylvia Browne's history of failure. Skeptical Inquirer 34(2):38-42, 2010]

Sylvia Browne is the so-called psychic that has made numerous appearances on the Montel Williams show. The following quote is from the Stop Sylvia Browne website, “On February 6 2007, Lt. Colonel Hal Bidlack (Ret) mailed a letter to Montel Williams, asking him some serious questions regarding Williams' continued support of Sylvia Browne.” Open Letter to Montel Williams: An Answer?

Sylvia’s predictions have proven highly unreliable, but she still charges $850 for a phone reading. However, she is Sylvia Browne- a real psychic- and “Unlike some pseudo-psychics who tell people that their problems are caused by curses, evil entities, demons, or karmic retribution neither Sylvia nor Chris will blame the negative occurrences on your life on these things, and each of them feel it is important to advise their clients to not believe in such things. They do not exist.” Sylvia Browne's Psychic Readings

Seriously, pseudo-psychics?

If I could ask Sylvia (the real psychic) one question, it would be- why haven’t you collected the one million dollars James Randi has been offering you for years? If you really believe in your psychic ability why not make an easy million?

In 2001, Sylvia said she would take Randi up on his one million dollar challenge- a challenge that states if you can demonstrate supernatural abilities in a controlled scientific study you will receive one million dollars. At this time, Browne has still not taken the challenge. She has made various excuses for why she hasn’t participated in the challenge. To entice Browne, Randi even changed the rules of the challenge when he offered to put the money in an escrow account and make Montel Williams and Larry King, both Browne supporters, the escrow agents

Check out Robert S. Lancaster’s website
    Stop Sylvia Browne
    Stop Sylvia Browne

Fitness expert in the hott seat!

So-called fitness expert from NBC-TV’s reality show, “The Biggest Loser” is being sued for falsely advertising that her “Jillian Michaels Maximum Strength Calorie Control” will provide “automatic” weight loss if taken before meals. “Christie Christensen of Lake Elsinore, California has filed a class-action lawsuit against Jillian Michaels and two companies [Thincare International and Basic Research, LL] that market her products”
    Jillian Michaels Sued for False Advertising

False advertising by weight loss, or supplement companies is nothing new. It may actually be the norm. This doesn’t make it right, but, in my opinion it means many other celebs and companies should also be sued.

Let me make it clear, I am not defending Michaels or her false assertions. I think Michaels should be fined and barred from the fitness industry, along with others participating in false ad campaigns.
    Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo jactatur eodem.

ZiR RED has not been evaluated by the FDA.
    ZiR RED is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

This is a warning: I am not a Medical Doctor.
    This means you can not turn your brain off when taking advice from me, and can not sue me.

www.BrPhysicalPerformance.com

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bigred.htm

NSCA: CSCS, CPT

Mad_Max21 is offline NPC Lightweight
    That's some pretty disturbing **** right there! Great read and insight thou. Thanks.

We Shall All Lead, And Conquer! Only Then Will Our Kingdom Be Built, A Kingdom Of MADMEN!!!

Cork is online now Give em the old what-for
    Those people and the people who believe this hogwash are ****ing morons.

StoneMan is offline IFBB Lightweight
    They're human Cork. That's a sad indictment of our species; we will always seek the quick and easy over honest hard work. It's in our nature to continually advance, where advance=easier, so few of us have the ability anymore to simply make what we want to happen, happen.
    Check out my training log!
    http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...e-barbell.html

"If you run with the lame, you'll develop a limp." Louie Simmons
    Parallel Box Squat- 425lbs - 16 August '10
    Sumo Deadlift- 455lbs - 03 December '10
    Bench- 330lbs - 30 July '10

Updated goals; Squat- 480 lbs. Bench- 360 lbs. Sumo Deadlift- 480 lbs. (2x bodyweight squat and pull and 1.5x bodyweight bench)

n88tr is offline Banned
    The mass media constantly bombards people with the new and quickest way to lose weight and or get in shape. I'm confused why they buy into it because if there's always the newest and best split/nutrition guide why replace it with a new one; wouldn't people just stop and think for a few seconds about this?

I think of it this way, either they'll get burned out trying new things over and over and just give up or they'll eventually see that wow this didn't work maybe if I modify this here and that there that I can tailor this to myself and get better results. I have hard time coming to grips with the fact people bounce from one exercise plan to the next without giving it a real shot: 16 weeks. Christ magazine covers say have a new body in days... how can people believe this, seriously?

Teran is offline NPC Heavyweight
    There is more money to be made by people and companies by maintaining a disease state than curing it, hence why so few cures have come out over the years, but new drugs or programs to "help" come out every day.