Thread: Pre-Workout/Chest Pains

1e2e is offline NPC Lightweight

Pre-Workout/Chest Pains

Ok guys, I have something that has been bothering the crap out of me. I have been taking small doses of pre-workout for a about 3 years now, simply to give me a little boost of energy before going to the gym. As you all know, after a 9 hour work day or a full load of classes, this helps. When I say small doses, I mean 1/2 a scoop to 1 scoop. Recently, I have been using 1 scoop of met-rx AMPED, and something really unnerving started happening.

Just to set the precedent, my older brother had a heart defect that caused a abnormal heart rate, and he had to have minor surgery (an ablation) to correct the arrythmia. Over the last few months, I have been hitting legs really hard, since I'm trying to bulk up a little, specifically on legs. However, in the middle of my sets, I don't just get lactic and light headed, I actually get chest pains. On top of that, my blood pressure goes way down (I actually have trouble reading my pulse), my heart races, and my left arm starts tingling. This goes away after a while if I quiet down, but it really messes with my workout. By the way, I am 21 years old, I hardly ever drink or smoke, and I have been in sports my whole life (I'm in pretty good shape).

I just want to know, has anybody ever experienced anything like this? I want to rule out anything I can before I take the next steps on this (pre-existing conditions are a bitch haha). By the way, I have already gone off of the pre-workout for a week now, and started running some more just to see if I can eliminate it without a doctor visit. Let me know what you guys think.

aild54 is offline Success never rests
    Go to the doctor. None of us are doctors and none of us know your situation like your doctor would.
    aild/Chris' log. Experience the intensity.

Research or STFU
    Everyday, max out.

monkeybiker is offline IFBB Lightweight
    GO AND SEE A DOCTOR

scrapping_irish is offline NPC Super Heavyweight
    Dude as a Emergency Medical Technician in my professional opinion... GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!! ASAP B4 your next workout even. I had a patient drop dead on the treadmill last year who was complaining of tingling in his extremities, shortness of breath and fatigue just prior to dropping.. Dont roll those dice, its not a safe gamble.

1e2e is offline NPC Lightweight

Saw the doc

Ok guys, I talked informally to my family doctor, and he basically said this: The best thing to do is to try to find the root cause of the problem. First, take heart rate and blood pressure measurements when the symptoms occur. Second, go off of preworkout (as I have) and see if that helps. The condition that my brother had (and he suspects I have) is not life threatening, it could just hold me back from being able to do intense exercise (bummer). In summation, he said that if I can make it go away on my own, it will save me a whole bunch of trouble.

Either way, I appreciate everyone's input, and I'll just train without the pre-workout. I'll post updates if you guys want.

Adawg4929 is offline NPC Lightweight
    Quote Originally Posted by 1e2e View Post
    Ok guys, I talked informally to my family doctor, and he basically said this: The best thing to do is to try to find the root cause of the problem. First, take heart rate and blood pressure measurements when the symptoms occur. Second, go off of preworkout (as I have) and see if that helps. The condition that my brother had (and he suspects I have) is not life threatening, it could just hold me back from being able to do intense exercise (bummer). In summation, he said that if I can make it go away on my own, it will save me a whole bunch of trouble.

Either way, I appreciate everyone's input, and I'll just train without the pre-workout. I'll post updates if you guys want.
    Yea trainign without a pre workout is definitly your best bet right now. But yea definitly post updates, want to make sure it all works out for ya, keep us updated :)
    Mod Edit: non sponsor