Thread: Dextrose found on Gatorade drinks.

teampinoymuscle is offline NPC Lightweight

Dextrose found on Gatorade drinks.

Hey guys, there is dextrose on gatorade, is it enough for the creatine dextrose combo?

Another question, is it ok to combine whey protein, creatine monohydrate and gatorade?

Last question, if cant have any dextrose, is it ok for creatine to drink with water alone, what other altrernative things I can drink or eat?

thank you!

stalion is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    1.yes
    2. yes but i don't recommend it
    3. no/ grape juice/malto/vitargo or a carb source for a carrier.
    You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet.
    psalms 18:39

teampinoymuscle is offline NPC Lightweight
    yes I have grape juice but it has acid contents.. is it still ok?

Grambo is offline NPC Heavyweight
    My first run of creatine I used grape juice postworkout and I blew up lol like 10lbs (obviously not all muscle.) I thought newer research had dispelled the need for an insulin spike when using creatine?
    Purus Labs Rep

Orbit Nutrition

"One stop for your supplement needs."

Contact me:
    Grambo@cyber-rights.biz

KM
    KM is offline V.I.P. Member
    1. Depends. Gatorade packets contain 20g of carbs, 18 or so being dextrose. That's not enough in my opinion but I also don't know anything about you.

2. You can consistently combine Gatorade with monohydrate, but I'd leave the whey protein in a separate shaker. There are numerous conflicting studies floating around out there that makes the protein-creatine absorption process questionable.

3. Yes, you can drink creatine in water alone. However if you leave it in water for longer than a half hour, it will degrade and convert to creatinINE which cannot be utilized by the body.

I suggest:

Shaker with whey and water (or milk)
    Shaker with creatine and dextrose with Gatorade.

stalion is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    Quote Originally Posted by KM View Post
    1. Depends. Gatorade packets contain 20g of carbs, 18 or so being dextrose. That's not enough in my opinion but I also don't know anything about you.

2. You can consistently combine Gatorade with monohydrate, but I'd leave the whey protein in a separate shaker. There are numerous conflicting studies floating around out there that makes the protein-creatine absorption process questionable.

3. Yes, you can drink creatine in water alone. However if you leave it in water for longer than a half hour, it will degrade and convert to creatinINE which cannot be utilized by the body.

I suggest:

Shaker with whey and water (or milk)
    Shaker with creatine and dextrose with Gatorade.

wouldn't drinking creating with water only be a waste i always thought you need a carrier. like
    water dextrose creatine
    You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet.
    psalms 18:39

BradTheBeast is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    I usually take it with water. But that's because I don't have another drink.
    What I'm thinking is taking it with a couple scoops or gatorade powder:)
    Good Idea right

GrizzleR is offline NPC Lightweight

Creatine Monohydrate and Dextrose

Dextrose is the industrial name for the d-type of glucose, which is the type your body can use. It's also called fruit sugar, grape sugar and, as the nick-names state, can be found in fruits (among other foods).
    (Wikipedia -> glucose)

Now, from what I know, this sugar is used to increase the rate of which the body absorb creatine monohydrate. The theory is that when carbohydrates is consumed, the glucose (which the carbs will be broken down to) in the bloodstream will trigger the body's natural response of secrating insulin. The insulin does a number of things. One is to help the body's cells bind glucose into glycogen, another is to help the cells absorb creatin monohydrate. Since Dextrose/fruit sugar is a monosaccharide or a "simple sugar" it's easily digested and quickly increase the level of glucose in the blood. This will inturn stimulate an insulin spike. More insuline, more creatine monohydrate absorbed.

Now this might be a little theoretical for the most of us, though what it means is that anything stimulating a insulin spike will help your body absorb more insulin. Mixing your creatine monohydrate with grapejuice or some kind of simple sugar will give you more bang for the buck.

Let me know if this was of any use to you =)

(Increased understanding of microbiological processes within the body certainly helped me pack some extra meat to my frame xD)
    It takes Will to get started,
    It takes Determination to go on,
    It takes Pain to complete,
    And Science to know what the heck you're doing!

It's the last rep you're physically capable of preforming, that makes you grow.

Failure is a concept we make up in our heads.
    "There is no failure, there's only feedback"

musicmann89 is offline IFBB Lightweight
    gatorade powder with creatine is fine pwo have it pwo than 20-30 mins later have your whey

Big MuMbO jUmBo is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    i just throw it all in a shaker why need to seperate them when they dont matter until they get inside you and there not gonna be seperated in there lol
    Ain't nothin to it but to do it!

Everyone is different....do what works best for you!!

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...-bmjs-log.html

musicmann89 is offline IFBB Lightweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Big MuMbO jUmBo View Post
    i just throw it all in a shaker why need to seperate them when they dont matter until they get inside you and there not gonna be seperated in there lol
    the reason for the carbs before if so you get the most out of the slin spike and let the carbs be used up and replenish glycogen stores than after 20 mins have some whey

Moro is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    whey protein can also illict a good insulin spike, check this out,

The concept behind taking creatine with sugar such as grape juice is sound. But the trick is not the grape juice per serving. It has to do with insulin's function in the body. For creatine uptake to be enhanced, insulin release should be encouraged. Insulin functions as a kind of creatine pump, pushing it into muscles. If you're going to stick to juice, make sure you get at least 100g of juice for every 5g of creatine. Depending on your level and your goals, juice loaded with sugars may not be suitable. Newer research indicates that you can take your creatine with protein for the same results. A new study reports that taking 5g of creatine with 50g of protein/47g of carbs produced the same results as taking 5g with 96g of carbs.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

KM
    Quote Originally Posted by stalion View Post
    wouldn't drinking creating with water only be a waste i always thought you need a carrier. like
    water dextrose creatine
    No. Creatine is absorbed regardless if it's accompanied by a simple sugar. Guys, eliciting an insulin response will aid in utilizing the creatine faster. If insulin is not released the body will still absorb it just not as fast, which is why using a simple carb is optional.

Another misconception, DEXTROSE is not FRUIT SUGAR. Fruit sugar, in most cases, is fructose, although some fruits have more than one specific type of sugar.

Personally, I hate when people say the word sugar when trying to explain specifics. It's meaning has been clouded and has caused people to be confused. Glucose is not sugar, although sometimes referred to as such, it's technically not.

Carbs stimulate insulin, creatine does not. Also, glycogen resynthesis (or restoring of glycogen) takes hours upon hours depending on how much glycogen is depleted and how much is restored.

my two cents. Insulin is an anabolic hormone, yes, but anabolism is not only associated with muscle.

14. Have 1 people(s) rated R.P. Reason Pack
    Freak 50 perfecto

Total score : R.P. 50 View Rating Log

GrizzleR is offline NPC Lightweight

Sincerest of apologies

Another misconception, DEXTROSE is not FRUIT SUGAR. Fruit sugar, in most cases, is fructose, although some fruits have more than one specific type of sugar.
    You're totally right man, Dextrose is not fruit sugar (fruit sugar is indeed fructose). I misspoke on my earlier post, my bad man, my bad.
    It takes Will to get started,
    It takes Determination to go on,
    It takes Pain to complete,
    And Science to know what the heck you're doing!

It's the last rep you're physically capable of preforming, that makes you grow.

Failure is a concept we make up in our heads.
    "There is no failure, there's only feedback"

RAGEN2008 is offline IFBB Lightweight
    I mix my creatine in water, that is mixed with whey protein, 2 scoops so about 45g's? I have one of these before I workout and one after.

<3Frosty is offline IFBB Lightweight
    No. Creatine is absorbed regardless if it's accompanied by a simple sugar. Guys, eliciting an insulin response will aid in utilizing the creatine faster. If insulin is not released the body will still absorb it just not as fast, which is why using a simple carb is optional.

Personally, I hate when people say the word sugar when trying to explain specifics. It's meaning has been clouded and has caused people to be confused. Glucose is not sugar, although sometimes referred to as such, it's technically not.

Carbs stimulate insulin, creatine does not. Also, glycogen resynthesis (or restoring of glycogen) takes hours upon hours depending on how much glycogen is depleted and how much is restored.

my two cents. Insulin is an anabolic hormone, yes, but anabolism is not only associated with muscle.
    Way to be on it KM! Dextrose, from my understanding, is derived from corn. I believe it is even called corn starch in some cases.

Im also curious as to the research that points out that whey protein is not a good carrier for creatine. I have only run across the positive remarks about the two combined...

Also, not all Gatorade has dextrose as its main sugar (if at all, if memory serves me right). The Lemon Lime flavored powder is the only powder that has dextrose as its main sugar source. And it has no HFCS!

Quote Originally Posted by musicmann89 View Post
    gatorade powder with creatine is fine pwo have it pwo than 20-30 mins later have your whey
    You do realize that pre-workout and post-workout could both be shortened to pwo? Which are you talking about?

KM
    Dextrose is the obsolescent name for glucose, same applies for levulose, it's now called fructose. I'm sure there are other reasons and scientific rationales behind the name change, but I don't know them.

Also, like Frosty said, most gatorades use "gucose-fructose syrup" except for the powdered lemon lime and fruit punch flavors.

Moral of the story, don't waste your time. Buy dextrose.

Dextrose is the obsolescent name for glucose, same applies for levulose, it's now called fructose. I'm sure there are other reasons and scientific rationales behind the name change, but I don't know them.

Also, like Frosty said, most gatorades use "gucose-fructose syrup" except for the powdered lemon lime and fruit punch flavors.

Moral of the story, don't waste your time. Buy dextrose.
    Yep, one of the least known supplements that is great. Dextrose all the way. Plus, i can add 90+ grams of the stuff and not choke from sweetness overload.

Deserteagle is offline NPC Lightweight

?

what benefits does dextrose have over fructose? cause using actual fruit would have more nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    what benefits does dextrose have over fructose? cause using actual fruit would have more nutrients.
    Dextrose (or, glucose) is what your body uses during intense activity. You have glycogen stores in your muscles and your liver. From my understanding, consuming dextrose post-workout or when your body is in a fasted state (ie when you wake up, because your body does go through an intense process by waking up the body) you can target those muscle glycogen stores and with frequent use, can even make those glycogen stores grow in capacity.

Effectively, consuming dextrose with your post-workout meal not only raises insulin, but also feeds those glycogen stores you just burned through during your intense workout.

WaixyMaize has also been the lead competitor to dextrose, but the differences ill leave to someone else to explain. I just know dextrose is cheap.

Deserteagle is offline NPC Lightweight
    thanks <3frosty that's exactly what i was looking for. do you personally notice any distinct benefits from it's use.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    thanks <3frosty that's exactly what i was looking for. do you personally notice any distinct benefits from it's use.
    I think almost anyone that is consistent in diet and training will notice the benefits. You have to be consistent with this though. It's something that i feel my recovery and growth from workout to workout isnt nearly as good when im not using it.

This isnt a miracle worker though, but combined with a great diet, sleep, and workouts, you should be able to tell the difference when using it and not using it.

Be aware, some people dont digest this stuff well. It seems though, from my talking with people that dont handle dextrose well, they dont tolerate sweets like cakes and things like that well either. Id buy a small amount (2 lb bag is a good start) and seeing how you react before jumping at a huge amount like the 15lb bag i get now.

KM
    Just rephrasing what you said Frosty because I think some people might get the wrong idea in their head: Dextrose replenishes glycogen because insulin is released. Insulin converts the excess glucose in the blood into usable energy by the body by signaling glycogen receptors on muscle tissue. After all a hormone, in a sense, is just that, a signal.

Personally, I feel no difference when I take WMS or dextrose. I just kinda let it do its thing and that's that.

JakeVendetta is offline V.I.P. Member
    I wouldnt go so far to say that dextrose replenishes glycogen BECAUSE insulin is released (ahh... sorry Kevin misread your post). There are other factors that affect this (ie. exercise induced translocation of GLUT 4 transporters independant of insulin lowers blood glucose levels). We cant forget to mention that insulin also causes increased fat storage and fatty acid synthesis (I dont mean this to make insulin sound negative by any means i just think that we need to take a second and evaluate how we manuplate the bodies natural hormones). Insulin will initiate glycogen synthesis by increasing glycogen synthase but only when there is a need for glycogen replenishment. These pathways for glycogenesis can only handle so much before the excess is converted to adipose tissue. Using large/frequent amounts of dextrose can also lead to insulin resistance, and all the problems that comes with it. I think that in terms of overall health and muscular development that dextrose should only be used in moderation during certain times (specifically following or during training), and even then should not be your sole carb source. All i'm really getting at is that dextrose seems to have been made into this muscle building god of a supplement when moderation is still important like with anything else.
    Last edited by JakeVendetta; 05-01-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Genomyx