Thread: Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)

Merkwürdigeliebe is offline NPC Lightweight

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)

Has anybody here had experience with this supplement for weight loss? Wiki and About.com seem to have positive info about it, I found a couple of medical journal articles as well, but all the other sites I'm finding tend to be biased reviews that seem more like adverts

What other supplements should I take to encourage weight loss?

There's a bunch of other supplements left over from my dad who gave up on them. (I don't think they worked for him because he really didn't have a good exercise and dieting plan) I'll post a list of them once I get back. There's a bottle of Glucomannan that I found, which is apparently used for feeling full before a meal. Is that any good either?

JNB
    JNB is offline NPC Heavyweight
    As far as CLA goes, I've heard a variety of things as well. Since I couldn't sleep last night I wound up reading the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness, and they have information on both Glucomannan and CLA.

Here's what they had to say:

"Glucomannan, a soluble fiber derived from the root of the konjac plant, absorbs a large amount of water in the digestive tract, causing you to feel full. One study from the University of Connecticut found that subjects who supplemented with glucomannan lost significant amounts of weight and fat whether they exercised or not." -Muscle and Fitness, May 2008

"CLA has been proven in numerous clinical trials to help shed body fat while adding muscle mass as well as boosting strength. One way that CLA works is by inhibiting lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme found around fat cells, where it picks up fat from the circulation and stores it as bodyfat..." -Muscle and Fitness, May 2008

Suggested intake for glucomannan was 1-2 grams before meals.
    CLA suggested intake: 2-3 grams with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I've taken CLA before, and in all honesty, besides maybe the first week, nothing noticeable happens to your body. Your best bet is to keep a good diet, exercise program, along with light and heavy cardio.

If anything drink green tea. I try to drink one to three cups of green tea everyday. Granted it may not do much but every little bit will help you in reaching your goals.

Merkwürdigeliebe is offline NPC Lightweight
    well that's what I figure, I'll take everything that works, even if it's only a little, it'll add up over time,

of course, my emphasis is a good diet and exercise plan above all, but if it can be accelerated, even by the slightest, then why not.. as long as the stuff I'm taking doesn't have any adverse effects on my body

I've just taken some glucomannan actually, I'll see how that goes after a while

Zack is offline Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass
    I respect trying things, but be careful man

the way you're talking it sounds like you'll try anything, and that can't always be a good thing
    Team GYWU

ZiR RED is offline Featured Member of the Month
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbfive View Post
    As far as CLA goes, I've heard a variety of things as well. Since I couldn't sleep last night I wound up reading the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness,
    I hate muscle and fiction.

You will never see a negative column regarding any supplement. Supplements pay their bills.

Br
    Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo jactatur eodem.

ZiR RED has not been evaluated by the FDA.
    ZiR RED is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

This is a warning: I am not a Medical Doctor.
    This means you can not turn your brain off when taking advice from me, and can not sue me.

www.BrPhysicalPerformance.com

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bigred.htm

NSCA: CSCS, CPT

JNB
    JNB is offline NPC Heavyweight
    Haha, I have to say I agree. I've come to notice that about 1/3 is devouted to actual content, and the rest is advertisements that are gross over exaggerations of muscle gain and increasing your testosterone to ungodly levels. Though I do think from time to time, they've put in a few decent articles on nutrition, but thats just my opinion.

mperk is offline V.I.P. Member
    I tried it a couple of times and never felt it did anything except lighten my wallet. After I read up on it I decided i was prolly rite! Sad to say - i'm a vistem of advertising....LOL