Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diabetes and creatine?

ibanezman06 is offline NPC Heavyweight

diabetes and creatine?

hi, my father's a diabetic and he just started using creatine. so far, so good, it's like a steroid for him cuz he's quickly becoming a monster.

i'm just a little concerned because he has diabetes.
    it's type 1. he takes insulin shots.

do you guys think that it's ok for someone with diabetes to take creatine?

it's a creatine monohydrate powder and he's in the loading phase (except he take about half of what i take just in case). He mixes it with apple juice although he does not add sugar.

thanks much and God bless.
    Peace!
    -Kenny

Freak is offline V.I.P. Member
    It is not mandatory that creatine be taken with juice. It can be taken w/water.
    Success is contagious! http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec...nce/sci-happy5

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Push beyond what you think is possible.

Bodybuilding: The science of hacking the human body.

Focus - obstacles are those frightful things you see when you fail to focus on your goals.

When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. -George Fisher

It's only steroids, not magic! -Gringo

What's the number to the main office?

bmf mike is offline NPC Lightweight
    hi my name is mike and i to am a diabetic(type 1). iv been taken creatine since 05 when i found out i was a diabetic.i have had no side affects i just have to keep in mind i have to keep my sugar up.thats the only big worry i find.put it this way i take all supplements (legal and safe ones) and actually my doctor wants to know what i have been doing cause she is amazed. in all your dad is good to go

Welcome to the dungeon Mike.

Focus - obstacles are those frightful things you see when you fail to focus on your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by thefreak350 View Post
    It is not mandatory that creatine be taken with juice. It can be taken w/water.

yes i know. thanks.
    Peace!
    -Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by bmf mike View Post
    hi my name is mike and i to am a diabetic(type 1). iv been taken creatine since 05 when i found out i was a diabetic.i have had no side affects i just have to keep in mind i have to keep my sugar up.thats the only big worry i find.put it this way i take all supplements (legal and safe ones) and actually my doctor wants to know what i have been doing cause she is amazed. in all your dad is good to go
    wow thanks! who better to get your info from than a diabetic right? so you say taking creatine lowers your blood sugar a little?
    Peace!
    -Kenny

poiuyt is offline NPC Lightweight
    absolutely not.

I've had type 1 diabetes for 13 years. Started taking creatine, no2, glutamine, etc a year ago.
    My blood levels are much more balanced than before but i think it is because of the daily level of physical activity rather than supplements.

I find it slower to make progress though. Reason is if i am in hypo after training, I need to eat which reduces the effects of training and the diet.
    Apart from that, no diabetes related side effect with supplements.

yea i only get hypo after a real heavy workout, but never on regular moderate heavy workouts.the thing i found out that keeps my sugar up while working out is i have a BSN TRUE MASS shake before my workouts.check it out!

Thanks for the tip Mike.
    I usually have hypos just after cardio (1-2hours after finishing) or couple of hours after really heavy workout (5-6 hours).

Anyway, lifting weights and DAFNE course helped me go from a 9.2 Hba1c a year ago to 7.1 a month ago.

The only thing with supplements is they tend to display inaccurate information on carbohydrate content. Maximuscle Cyclone is sold as 20% carbs when i found there is 30 to 35%. Just got very high levels the first time i tried...

ever tried supplements supposed to modify insulin sensitivity or insulin absorption process?

draya is offline NPC Lightweight
    ive been a type 2 for 5 years have been useing creatine since i was diagnosed in 2002 also numerous suplements.i have never had any problems have been taken off insuline and self manage thru diet and exercisedoctors are amazed at my diabetic condition.i truly beleive body building has saved my life and helped me kick diabetis ass.so go for it on the supplements.

hell yea draya you keep on kicking ass, i like that in a person.i keep telling my wife i have diabetis, it doesnt have me.since i started lifting again i never once worried about the supplements i take and i wont cause like you ever since i started all my blood work,kidneys and all the bs that comes with being a diabetic have come back passing with flying colors.thats why my doctor wonders what im doing.

ps draya, iv tried pretty much everything that deals with insuline.reason y i stop taken them cause it got a little to costley.hell iv even taken Dianibol,Anadral,Deca,testerone, ect.but right know im currently taking a fat burner(lipo 6),creatine,whey,vit.B-12,Pinnacle Amino Explode,fish oil and L-Arginine.hell im not affraid to try anything,just make sure you do research first............good luck and lift heavy

draya is offline NPC Lightweight
    hey all my fellow diebetic bodybuilders out there thanks for the replies.keep on kicking ass.got a good book for yous to check out it helped me get a whole new attitude on our illness and what the medical proffesion says we cant do.reduce or even eliminate your dependence on insulin or oral drugs.the title is reversing diabetes by author julian whitaker md.i picked it up at the local barns and noble.good luck lift hard.

george362 is offline NPC Lightweight

Diabetes and creatine

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezman06 View Post
    hi, my father's a diabetic and he just started using creatine. so far, so good, it's like a steroid for him cuz he's quickly becoming a monster.

i'm just a little concerned because he has diabetes.
    it's type 1. he takes insulin shots.

do you guys think that it's ok for someone with diabetes to take creatine?

it's a creatine monohydrate powder and he's in the loading phase (except he take about half of what i take just in case). He mixes it with apple juice although he does not add sugar.

thanks much and God bless.
    Yes, definately!

I found out from the mod of another forum that creatine "excites" the nervous system, that is why weights feel lighter and power is enhanced! Now here is where it gets interesting. Diabetes is a disease of the nervous system, and anything that improves the function of the nervous system will have a positive effect on dieabetes.

Check out this link about how researchers in Toronto Canada at the "Hospital For Sick Children" cured type 1 diabetes in mice. I am new here so I can't post the link, but just Google:

Toronto, sick children, diabetes, cure

and that should bring up the article

What they found was that the nerves in the pancreas were adversly affected by high levels of "substance-p" and when they gave injections of capsicum (from cayenne pepper) the diabetes cleared up almost immediately!

Now, it is also interesting that for many years "cayenne" pepper has been a "folk remedy" for diabetes! Intereting connection....isn't it!

So use creatine, BUT remember that even if a substance affects you as a diabetic in a positive way, by which I mean helps you lower blood sugar, you still need to be very careful so that the compounding effect with your insulin does not drop your sugar dangerously low, which can happen.

It things like creatine, or Piracetam (another thing that positively affects never function) allow you to ultimately decrease your insulin dose that is good, but be careful in the way you wean yourself off of, or reduce the amount of your insulin or other diabetes meds so that you don't suddenly drop your sugar too low and go into diabetic coma.

Please feel free to write to me if you have questions. I am not an expert and do not claim to be, but I have found numerous interesting things about diabetes and nerve function, and I think the more you know, the better you will be able to manage the disease.

Also, bodybuilding or actually any training where you are building muscle helps, because more muscle acts as a "sugar sink" that is...it soaks up glucose, rather than the sugar remaining in the bloodstream. The more muscle you have, the easier it should be to control blood sugar, so keep training, and trying to maintain or increase muscle size, as it will help keep you healthy.

Remember as well that the number one predictor of longevity is how much muscle you retain as you get older. The great bodybuilder of the 60's and 70's Bill Pearl is in his 70's now and looks great!

He can still tear 2 license plates in half at over 70 years of age, and he looks fitter and stronger than 99% of 21 year olds!

George362

KM
    KM is offline V.I.P. Member
    YO THIS THREAD IS DEADDDDDDD.......

Haha and it's ibaneze's old user name where he forgot his password.
    "The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking."

I'm almost there.

Kaboom is offline Pro Bodybuilder
    so what my man just gave a lot of very useful info and with all the newbies on here Im sure theres more diabetics.
    Welcome to the Dungeon bro!
    Post away in any thread you want to especially with the likes of knowledge you just presented us with.

justinz1992 is offline NPC Lightweight
    I have had diabetes since i was 6 and my doctor wont let me take creatine because you know with diabetes it strongly affects your kidneys so taking creatine is just gonna make it worse.

Kaboom is offline Pro Bodybuilder
    Thats totally opposite what everyone else has said maybe you should get a second opinion

Diabetes is not a disease of nervous system but immune system. Just though I would rectify this.

Quote Originally Posted by poiuyt View Post
    Diabetes is not a disease of nervous system but immune system. Just though I would rectify this.
    This is what was believed for many years, but recent research has cast doubt on this. Bascially what they did is use capsicum to lower levels of substance-p in the nerves in the pancreas.

They completely reversed type 1 diabetes in mice in something like a 24 hour period. The theory they developed with this research is that abnormalities in substance-p production led to chronic inflammation of the islet cells, and thus their inability to produce insulin.

Now where the immune component may come in is that the immune system may be functioning abnormally and creating an autoimmune reaction in the islet cells. This would result in inflammation of the islet cells.

Substance-p is involved in certain inflammatory reactions, and it is known that capsicum depletes substace-p and thus breaks the inflammatory cycle.

Google the following: (substance-p hospital for sick children toronto diabetes capsicum) and check out the 4th listing down from the top!

So perhaps it is not entirely accurate to say that diabetes is a disease of the nervous system, but it IS accurate to say that nerves in the pancreas having abnormal neurotransmitter levels (substance-p) and the subsequent inflammatory cycle that is involved is a major part of the problem!

Hope that clarifies my earlier post

George

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    so what my man just gave a lot of very useful info and with all the newbies on here Im sure theres more diabetics.
    Welcome to the Dungeon bro!
    Post away in any thread you want to especially with the likes of knowledge you just presented us with.
    Hey Big Poppa, thank you for the thumbs up! It's great to be here!

I may not be 100% correct, but I have read a lot about this recently. Forums like this are some of the best places to get information, because we share knowledge and ideas, and hash out our theories, and in the process learn a lot about things.

I got some of my ideas about creatine and nerves from the Chemical Anarchy board, and then I started seeing connections that I would never have paid attention to.

I always thought creatine worked because it was a cell volumizer and increased interstitial leverage, but the nerve thing really got me thinking. I get much the same result from the nootropic Piracetam, which raises acetylcholine levels. When I use Piracetam, I feel more explosive when I lift, kinda like the old days when I was "on."

Testosterone also improves nervous system function and athletes on anabolics, (testosterone analogues) are quicker and more explosive. This makes me suspect that those MLB players juicing it not only are hitting longer home runs, but hitting better for average, because that bat speed is up (better nerve function again) and thus he is tagging that fast ball he would otherwise have missed!

Now here is where it gets kinda interesting. One of the things that occurrs in Alzhiemers Disease, is that levels of acetylcholine get very low before the full onset of Alzheimers. (Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter)

Some diabetes researchers are beginning to suspect that Alzheimers is like a "type 3 diabetes"!

Sorry to ramble on, but it's like pieces of the puzzle are coming together in a very cool way!

George

bsmx3me is offline NPC Lightweight
    so is there anymore updates on this thread? or is there another new topic towards diabetes and creatine?
    i googled creatine and diabetes and this link came out to here.
    i have been reading about creatine and its insulin and stuff... in all creatine products theres a warning that says do not use if u suffer from diabetes.
    yet i see diabetics posting here and saying its safe well thats really nice to know that u guys (diabetics) are using this with knowledge. so can u guys say that its safe to continue this and not going to harm your livers and kidney?
    i understand that some1 said that his sugar level dropped after taking creatine... 7.1 or something... thats awesome _b issit because u're working alot more in the gym and not because of the creatine? sorry if i'm jumbling all over here... i'm a keen fan of diabetics that are taking supplements. cause most of the supplements always notes that "suffering from diabetes discontinue, etc".
    my brother and his mates are diabetics and their wanting to grow more and they have been training for about a year and a half plus.. and they always want to try using supplements and all...

just a concern and curious brother.

ibanezman88 is offline NPC Lightweight
    whoa
    creatine, like a steroid
    man i was a dumbass. and that wasn't too long ago either. i learned so much since then

it says in my profile that i was 144lbs

i'm now 172lbs
    "When you got love for something, there isn't really much you wouldn't do to do it." - Ronnie Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by justinz1992 View Post
    I have had diabetes since i was 6 and my doctor wont let me take creatine because you know with diabetes it strongly affects your kidneys so taking creatine is just gonna make it worse.
    I would go to another Dr.

I have creatine sitting right beside me and it does not mention do not take if you have diabetes... It says this has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to cure, treat, or prevent any disease.

Type 1: is an autoimmune disease. The body destroys its own beta cells.

Creatine does not make you more "excited."

Con3151 is offline NPC Lightweight
    Taking creatine when ur a type 1 diabetic is no issue. If your father is injecting insulin this could help the uptake of creatine depending when he takes his shots. Just monitor his sugar like im sure he usually does and keep hydration levels high
    "The Power Of One"

Good points Con!

ibanezman88 is offline NPC Lightweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    I would go to another Dr.
    exactly.

i made this thread OVER a year ago and my dad has been taking creatine since then. he's in the best shape of his life right now. maybe not because of creatine but creatine definatly didn't hurt.

oh and the only way i see creatine being bad for the kidneys is if you're taking 20g a day and drinking no water.
    "When you got love for something, there isn't really much you wouldn't do to do it." - Ronnie Coleman

Cam75v is offline NPC Lightweight
    Hi, i am 14 years old and was diagnosed a diabetic type 1 when i was 9.I weighed 166 and was 5'5 and am now 5'7 175 during that i was working out about a hour a day for a period of 3 months. I want to start taking creatine and i want to know if since i am 14 i shouldn't take it and i like the weight im at right now i want to make sure it doesn't make extra fat or anything like that...

allstar is offline IFBB Superheavyweight
    As long as you follow the directions on how to take creatine you will be fine, you might gain weight because of gaining muscle when working out, but also creatine "bloats your muscles with water" pretty much and that could cause a slight gain in weight, but once you get off creatine that will go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast