Thread: Dirty vs. Clean Bulking (ectomorph)

thebeginning is offline NPC Heavyweight

Dirty vs. Clean Bulking (ectomorph)

Perhaps this is a better location for this thread (if so, mods feel free to delete my other one in the main bodybuilding section).

I need to gain some weight, doggone it. Lost 6 lbs while I was in south america last month and have just moved to a new area so stress and scheduling has kept me from eating and working out right. I'm 5'11", 162 lbs, and an ectomorph, so it sucks pretty bad when trying to bulk.

Question: If I do a dirty bulk, while it help me to gain muscle mass any faster than a clean bulk? I'm ok if I gain a little fat along the way, as I find I can 'burn' it very easily.

Example:

Eating 3000-3500 cals a day, based mostly off of grains, oats, rice, chicken/turkey, some beef, salmon, etc (I find this rather difficult).

or

Eating up to 4500 cals a day, with the same food only supplemented by less healthy food (more saturated fats, more sodium, but more calories). For instance, I've found that frozen pizzas can give me an easy 1200 cals per meal, and they're cheap.

fyi, I'm doing a 3-day full body workout based on compound exercises. I'll likely continue that for another month (I've done it for a month already before I went on vacation, so there's a 3 week break in there).

So...thoughts?

ZiR RED is offline Featured Member of the Month
    How eating healthy. You're requirement for extra calories warrants eating non-typical bodybuilding foods, especially those ate in season or by athletes who tend to put on weight easy.

As an example, you buy frozen whole wheat low fat cheeze pizzas, rather than a typical white flour, whole fat.

Br
    Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo jactatur eodem.

ZiR RED has not been evaluated by the FDA.
    ZiR RED is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

This is a warning: I am not a Medical Doctor.
    This means you can not turn your brain off when taking advice from me, and can not sue me.

www.BrPhysicalPerformance.com

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bigred.htm

NSCA: CSCS, CPT

thebeginning is offline NPC Heavyweight
    Yeah...I'll see if I can get a hold of some of those for a good price (that's a factor).

I think I've generally decided to go the healthy route and just cheat occasionally (cleanish). This article was helpful too, if anyone else is wondering:

http://www.tmuscle.com/portal_includ...-training.html

stalion is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    The thing is with a dirty bulk you would have to cut for a longer period of time and that means you wont keep most of your gains.
    You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet.
    psalms 18:39

MikeNYY420 is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    I'm the same way as you, eating 3000-3500 calories in healthy foods is difficult. I try to keep eating brown rice and oats ect. If I need extra calories still I'll eat some ice cream or something else that's calorie dense. It makes 4000 a lot easier.
    Goals by mid September : 300 bench, 405 deadlift, 365 squat

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...ontest-26.html <--------- My log

aild54 is offline Success never rests
    I used to struggle to get 2,000 calories a day. Now I get about 3,000. Once you just keep doing it, you get used to it and it becomes routine. I used to lie to myself and say that my metabolism was super high so I could just eat junk food, but then I realized that it's not going to make me healthier. These days, I'm all about clean bulks. You can't put a price on your health.
    aild/Chris' log. Experience the intensity.

Research or STFU
    Everyday, max out.

Thouser88 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNYY420 View Post
    I'm the same way as you, eating 3000-3500 calories in healthy foods is difficult. I try to keep eating brown rice and oats ect. If I need extra calories still I'll eat some ice cream or something else that's calorie dense. It makes 4000 a lot easier.
    He hit the nail on the head. Although I get 3900 cals from clean food, I can always throw somethin' dirty in there for that extra few hundred. That's one plus of being an ectomorph. Check my sig, that's what a strict CLEAN bulk has done for me. The recent changes where it says clean bulk started is where I buckled down, got everything together and grew like a weed. It's possible bro I promise. Diet is one of the most important factors in your training regimine. Check my introduction thread if you wanna see my diet, although I have added some since then. Happy eating!
    21 y/o, 5'9", 9%-10% BF
    back in the day - 115lbs
    2/5 - 143lbs
    4/8 - 168lbs
    6/6 - 178lbs
    8/15 - 170lbs (clean bulk start)
    9/9 - 194lbs
    Bench 9/6 - 325lbs
    Squat 9/16 - 385lbs
    Dead 9/1 - 435lbs

*Current Goals*
    -Clean bulk to 210, possibly higher
    -ECA stack, clean cut to 195

Training Log

<BGO>

8. Have 1 people(s) rated R.P. Reason Pack
    aild54 3 Solid post, and NICE progress, bro!

Total score : R.P. 3 View Rating Log

MikeNYY420 is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    Mmmm brown rice and clean bulks. It just makes Thanksgiving pie that much better!
    Goals by mid September : 300 bench, 405 deadlift, 365 squat

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...ontest-26.html <--------- My log