Thread: Gatorade vs. Pedialyte

allstar is offline IFBB Superheavyweight

Gatorade vs. Pedialyte

They say that when working out Pedialyte could be better to drink than Gatorade, because an 8 oz gatorade only has 110 mg of sodium while Pedialyte has 244, and when working out while drinking Pedialyte you would sweat more therefor you would improve water retention and distribution..what are your guys thoughts

mr_bhana is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    Isnt pedialyte for children? i dont know alot about it but i would stick with gatorade. Higher sodium will cause water retention yes, but your body may sweat out the water anyway. Why would you want to retain water in the first place?

”A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up.”

TEAM ENGLAND

Mr Bhana's Brand Spanking New Log!!!

Freak is offline V.I.P. Member
    You would just be replacing the lost sodium. The main difference between the two is that pedialyte has more electroytes and less carbs. Anyone can take pedialyte but yes it's made for children with vomiting/diarrhea.
    Success is contagious! http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec...nce/sci-happy5

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

Push beyond what you think is possible.

Bodybuilding: The science of hacking the human body.

Focus - obstacles are those frightful things you see when you fail to focus on your goals.

When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. -George Fisher

It's only steroids, not magic! -Gringo

What's the number to the main office?

Kirk is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    too add my two cents i drink it if im dehydrated, it works great they make em in both juice drinks and also freezy pops. for preseason for college soccer we had 3-a-days for a couple hours a session in 90' heat, so you get pretty dehydrated quick, pedialyte works great to rehydrate you.

maverick_76 is offline NPC Middleweight
    I have read some studies that Gatorade is the absolute best drink you can have for two reasons:
    1. It has a good balance of carbohydrates and electrolytes, neither of which will overpower the other in your system
    2. The viscosity of Gatorade is the closest thing to blood, which is why it can be quickly absorbed into your system and which is why they chose that balance of nutrients to balance it closer to your own body fluids

Tom_Wolf is offline Summoner of the Giant Spider
    Why bother with either while working out? Gatorade is flavored sugarwater fortified with other stuff in it. Unless your doing a sport while your constantly running back and forth or in weather that's too taxing, save your money.

Team BRoLiC

Vegetarianism is a lie, there is only flesh.
    Through meat, I gain ketones.
    Through ketones, I gain accelerated fat loss.
    Through accelerated fat loss, I gain more time to build muscle.
    Through more muscles, my chains are broken.
    Animal Flesh shall set me free.

allstar is offline IFBB Superheavyweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Rivera View Post
    Why bother with either while working out? Gatorade is flavored sugarwater fortified with other stuff in it. Unless your doing a sport while your constantly running back and forth or in weather that's too taxing, save your money.
    I agree completly man i rarely ever drink gatorade unless im running in the summer...i was just seeing your guys opinion

stalion is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    also its a fast digesting caeb to work out you need a slow burning carb.I read in md that its best to put it in your mouth fo a minute and then spit it out.Gatorade makes you feel full you dont want that when you squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick_76 View Post
    I have read some studies that Gatorade is the absolute best drink you can have for two reasons:
    1. It has a good balance of carbohydrates and electrolytes, neither of which will overpower the other in your system
    2. The viscosity of Gatorade is the closest thing to blood, which is why it can be quickly absorbed into your system and which is why they chose that balance of nutrients to balance it closer to your own body fluids
    No its not its just the most popular. For regular lifting sessions water is best. For endurance activities pedialyte/water would be a better choice.

Focus - obstacles are those frightful things you see when you fail to focus on your goals.

Tom_Wolf is offline Summoner of the Giant Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar5461 View Post
    I agree completly man i rarely ever drink gatorade unless im running in the summer...i was just seeing your guys opinion
    I dont drink it at all, nothing a bannana, maybe some lightsalt and water can't copy at a cheaper price.

Team BRoLiC

Vegetarianism is a lie, there is only flesh.
    Through meat, I gain ketones.
    Through ketones, I gain accelerated fat loss.
    Through accelerated fat loss, I gain more time to build muscle.
    Through more muscles, my chains are broken.
    Animal Flesh shall set me free.

DaniCali is offline NPC Lightweight
    i like gatorade but, i only drink it when i workout more than 1.5 hr.
    water for the win!
    "A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

Height : 5'11
    Starting Weight : 172, 13%(06/30/2008)
    Current Weight :172, 13%(06/30/2008)
    Goal : 200lbs
    Team Cutler

fivestarg is offline NPC Lightweight
    Rehydrate by Advocare beats Gatorade and Pedialyte...hands down! Check it out for yourself but its done wonders for me!

Zack is offline Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass
    I've had that stuff. It's not bad.
    Team GYWU

mostmuscular84 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    The only time i used pedialyte was when i was playing college football. However you can use anything that has a high salt content. Pickle Juice is just as good. I would only use these two if you are in intense heat and are doing hardcore training. Stick with gatorade or even save some money buy using banana and salt
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

my training log for PROJECT HEAVYWEIGHT: http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...-2009-npc.html

“Bodybuilding is not just a sport; it’s a way of life. If every aspect of life is not focused on making the sacrifice necessary to build your best physique, you will ultimately fail and never reach your full potential.”

intense heat workouts, or if you're sick with the flu or other sort of illness that you need to replenish the nutrients in your body use pedialyte for a quick hydration. if you're sick and having trouble keeping things down, use pedialyte freezy pops, not the juice.

chrispghmuscle is offline Closing the door
    Freak / Kirk... your on target brother's.. I like the grape myself..

If your ordering use my discount code CHRIS5OFF

Dungeon Geezer Crew member Training log!!
    http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...raining-2.html

My workouts are solely created by the incrediable mind, experience an talent of Danp100.

Chris

mostmuscular84 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    Im not sure about the ice pops because if your body temperature is raised you don't want to shock it to quickly with something ice cold. I know when we played ball in intense heat we always had warm gatorade warm water warm pedialyte, what it does is slowly cools your body down at a normal rate not a shocking quick rate
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

my training log for PROJECT HEAVYWEIGHT: http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...-2009-npc.html

“Bodybuilding is not just a sport; it’s a way of life. If every aspect of life is not focused on making the sacrifice necessary to build your best physique, you will ultimately fail and never reach your full potential.”

BigPoppaSnake is offline NPC Super Heavyweight
    So what does Pedialyte taste like anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by mostmuscular84 View Post
    Im not sure about the ice pops because if your body temperature is raised you don't want to shock it to quickly with something ice cold. I know when we played ball in intense heat we always had warm gatorade warm water warm pedialyte, what it does is slowly cools your body down at a normal rate not a shocking quick rate
    i was just speaking on behalf of being sick and not being able to keep anything down, thats why you (or at least i do and know a bunch of others that do the same) eat ice chips instead of taking down water when you're throwing up. thats actually why pedialyte freezy pops in the first place. having mono i have a freezer cooler with a stack of them next to me because getting up and walking to the kitchen is downstairs and far away. the freezy pops been a lifesaver at times.

thats interesting you had warm everything, i tell you what warm water is horrible, i know just about every team has ice water and ice gatorade on our college playing fields, even away games to the new york area all places have had cold drinks, in high school home and away games always supplied ice water, ive grown up with cold water and cold drinks post games and practices in high heat all my life, and i wont do anything else but...warm gatorade and water tastes horrible. but, to each their own we do differ in this opinion.

Maintaining an adequate hydration level helps assure peak performance, and science shows that no other sports drink formula is absorbed faster than Gatorade.¹ Unlike other flavored hydration options, the osmolality and 6% carbohydrate solution in Gatorade ensure that it can be absorbed quickly and easily by the body,¹ which prevents the bloating and discomfort that can be caused by other flavored beverages. In addition, the flavor of Gatorade is formulated and athletically tested to taste best when an athlete is dehydrated. Dehydration can cause athletes to stop drinking before they’ve consumed an adequate amount of fluid to replace what has been lost.

1. Ryan AJ et al. 1998, 84: 1581–1588. Journal of Applied Physiology.

Working muscles need energy to fight fatigue. Gatorade is scientifically formulated as a 6% carbohydrate solution (60 grams of carbohydrate per liter of water), the right amount of carbohydrates to enable Gatorade to be absorbed as fast as water and quickly provide performance-powering fuel to working muscles. Research shows that more than 6% carbohydrate is not better—a higher concentration of carbohydrates takes longer to absorb and won’t further improve performance.¹
    1. Shi, X. et al. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 27: 1607–1615, 1995

When athletes sweat, they lose electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and chloride that are essential to hydration and muscle function. Unlike water and other beverages that are not scientifically formulated, Gatorade is lab-tested to ensure it replenishes the electrolytes lost in sweat while maintaining thirst so athletes will adequately ingest enough fluid and electrolytes to stay well-hydrated.¹²³

1. Meyer F et al. 1992, 24: 776–781. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

2. Gonzalez-Alonso J et al. 1992, 13: 399–40. International Journal of Sport Medicine

3. Wilk B and O Bar-Or. 1996, 80: 1112–1117. Journal of Applied Physiology

Gatorade is specially formulated to give athletes what water cannot.

Studies have shown that athletes who hydrate with Gatorade outperform athletes who hydrate with just water in a number of key performance measures, including the ability to exercise longer before succumbing to fatigue (1, 2), maintain a faster sprint speed in the second half of a competition period (2, 5), and exhibit higher explosive power both overall (1, 6) and later in exercise (3, 4).

The studies show what the inventors of Gatorade hypothesized over 40 years ago when faced with the task of determining why many Florida Gator players were both underperforming and succumbing to the affects of heat and heat related illnesses: when it comes to optimal field performance, water isn’t enough.

1. Davis, J.M. et al. Int J Sports Nutr 10.476–485–2000
    2. Welsh, R.S. et al. Med Sci Sports Exerc 21–5123, 1999 (Abstract)
    3. Mezell, K.L. et al. Faseb J 13-A1050, 1999 (Abstract)
    4. Fritzsche, R.G. et al. J Appl Physiol 88:730–737, 2000
    5. Smith, R et al. J Sports Sci 16:502-503. 1998 (Abstract)
    6. Davis, J.M. et al. Int J Sports Nutr 20: 309–314. 1999

and exhibit higher explosive power both overall and later in exercise

I think explosiveness is the essence of lifting weights, moving the largest amount of weight in the shortest time possible to achieve a muscle shock and tear in muscle fibers that induce growth. So, yes I do think if you train like a freak, you must drink more than mortal water. IMO. And some guys in white lab jackets, lol.

They sound like Gatorade advertisements and are 10+ years old. Good of you to post sources but for lifting water is better because most of the carbs in gatorade are fructose which only refill liver glycogen not muscle glycogen. For endurance activities such as marathons pedialyte is better because it has much more electrolytes per volume than gatorade.

Yeah just showing I wasn't bull****ting my info, personally I love the stuff, I really do feel a second wind with it. But if you are trying to lose weight I don't recommend any high sodium drinks because they make you retain water. Plus they have calories which we need to account for.

You post solid stuff man we knew, at least I did you weren't BS us.