Thread: Skimmed Milk Powder as a Protein Drink???

Johnny S is offline NPC Lightweight

Skimmed Milk Powder as a Protein Drink???

Hi

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this question has been asked before.

I've been told that dried skimmed milk powder makes a cheap alternative to protein shakes.

Looking at the nutrition guide on the side of the box states that a 57g serving provides:

20g of protein
    30g of carbs of which sugars 30g

My question is surely the sugar content is too great making it ineffective for bodybuilding purposes?

Thanks in advance.

Zack is offline Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass
    why wouldn't u just get a whey protein? it's got less sugar and probably more protein per serving. I suspect that all those sugars are simple. Try a whey or sustained release protein like Syntha-6. It'll do you more good than what you've got going on man.
    Team GYWU

LBblitz is offline NPC Lightweight
    Hey man first decide if you want a fast acting protein (Whey based) or a slow acting protein (Casein based). The protein in milk is 80% Casein and 20% Whey. So that means that in your shake you will have 16g of slow digesting protein and 4g of fast digesting protein. The carbs in milk are simple sugars which means they prolly aren't the best thing to have right before bed but would be good for a post-workout shake. divide out the price per serving and if its a deal and you like it go ahead.

I prefer a 100% Whey shake with little/no carbs before my workout, a 100% Whey shake with simple carbs after my workout, and a slow casein protein before bed with little/no carbs
    Currently @
    5'10" 205 lbs
    Bench @ 315 x 5.. 365 x 1
    Squat @ 405 x 7.. 525 x 1
    Dead. @ 455 x 10. 540 x 1

Lou Ferrigno: "I have nothing to say, I just wanna eat my cake."

Johnny S is offline NPC Lightweight
    Thanks for the replies.

Was only using skimmed milk powder because it's so cheap, 500g for £1.75 (approx $3).

I've recently ordered some whey protein and just waiting for it to arrive.

LBblitz

In what form/supplement do you take your casein powder before bed?

mr_bhana is offline IFBB Arnold Classic Champion
    Casein can be taken with milk or water, just like a regular shake, its just much slower digesting, if you are gonna used the skimmed milk powder, i wouldnt reccomend it after a workout, Thats when you need fast digesting proteins like whey protien

”A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up.”

TEAM ENGLAND

Mr Bhana's Brand Spanking New Log!!!

Kaboom is offline Pro Bodybuilder
    no!Get whey well and caisein if you want it before bed

LBblitz is offline NPC Lightweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny S View Post

LBblitz

In what form/supplement do you take your casein powder before bed?
    I often eat a cup of nonfat cottage cheese (25g protein 3g carbs). Any nonfat cheeses are good for getting your casein. I sometimes cook up a chicken breast before bed and cover it in fat free mozzarella. Or I'll have a little spinach & mozzarella. There is 18g of protein in just 2oz of mozzarella cheese and the only carb (1g) is dietary fiber. There are only 7g of carbs in 1cup of spinach and 5 of the 7g are in the form of dietary fiber. I try to get as much of my protein from food as I can, but I do take Optimum Nutrition's 100% Casein. I try to mix it with just water to cut out additional carbs, but I do on occasion use milk as the solvent. Sometimes I even warm up the water/milk and make a sorta hot cocoa before bed Oh and I occasionally melt a scoop of peanut butter in there if I'm bulking and not caring too much about the additional fats.

There are other types of nonfat cheeses out there that taste great. They taste a heck of a lot better than shakes sometimes. IMO
    Currently @
    5'10" 205 lbs
    Bench @ 315 x 5.. 365 x 1
    Squat @ 405 x 7.. 525 x 1
    Dead. @ 455 x 10. 540 x 1

Lou Ferrigno: "I have nothing to say, I just wanna eat my cake."

Tom_Wolf is offline Summoner of the Giant Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by LBblitz View Post
    Hey man first decide if you want a fast acting protein (Whey based) or a slow acting protein (Casein based). The protein in milk is 80% Casein and 20% Whey. So that means that in your shake you will have 16g of slow digesting protein and 4g of fast digesting protein. The carbs in milk are simple sugars which means they prolly aren't the best thing to have right before bed but would be good for a post-workout shake. divide out the price per serving and if its a deal and you like it go ahead.

I prefer a 100% Whey shake with little/no carbs before my workout, a 100% Whey shake with simple carbs after my workout, and a slow casein protein before bed with little/no carbs
    Actualy the sugar in milk is lactose It wont digest quickly. Milk is generally never good for a post workout shak.

Team BRoLiC

Vegetarianism is a lie, there is only flesh.
    Through meat, I gain ketones.
    Through ketones, I gain accelerated fat loss.
    Through accelerated fat loss, I gain more time to build muscle.
    Through more muscles, my chains are broken.
    Animal Flesh shall set me free.

mostmuscular84 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    Milk as actually a very good supplement it has everything in such as whey and casein. I only use milk as a meal replacement. The hardest thing though is using lower fat milk has more sugar in it. Therefore using whole milk is great but only use milk during a bulking stage never for cutting
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

my training log for PROJECT HEAVYWEIGHT: http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...-2009-npc.html

“Bodybuilding is not just a sport; it’s a way of life. If every aspect of life is not focused on making the sacrifice necessary to build your best physique, you will ultimately fail and never reach your full potential.”

Quote Originally Posted by mostmuscular84 View Post
    Milk as actually a very good supplement it has everything in such as whey and casein. I only use milk as a meal replacement. The hardest thing though is using lower fat milk has more sugar in it. Therefore using whole milk is great but only use milk during a bulking stage never for cutting
    No. The differences between milks that are lower and higher fat are just fat content. I have a container of 1 percent and 2 percent milk, the only difference is that the 2 percent milk has double the fat content per a servingas the 1 percent milk has. Milk does not have a high GL, the sugar isn't equated to the type of insulin spike you get with white bread.

Team BRoLiC

mostmuscular84 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    just because the nutrition facts doesn't say the lactose isn't there it is there and that is what affects your body when cutting. the milk sugar is there and replaces the fat.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

my training log for PROJECT HEAVYWEIGHT: http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...-2009-npc.html

“Bodybuilding is not just a sport; it’s a way of life. If every aspect of life is not focused on making the sacrifice necessary to build your best physique, you will ultimately fail and never reach your full potential.”

Quote Originally Posted by mostmuscular84 View Post
    just because the nutrition facts doesn't say the lactose isn't there it is there and that is what affects your body when cutting. the milk sugar is there and replaces the fat.
    When did I say lactose -isn't- there? Milk sugar isn't added to milk to replace fat, the difference between whole, skim, 1 and 2 percent milk is the FAT content. The sugar won't do anything bad while cutting because milk doesn't have a high glycemic load, thats what is important to take into consideration while thinking about carbohydrate intake. Not "Sugar is bad while cutting" as a blanketed statement.

Theres no reason why milk can't be used for cutting as long as you stay within your macro nutritent limit.

Team BRoLiC