Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Zane? Love him or Hate him? either way he is a big piece of the bbing puzzle

theregal is offline NPC Lightweight

Frank Zane? Love him or Hate him? either way he is a big piece of the bbing puzzle

Discuss Frank Zane

Do you love him or hate him? Personally I wonder how he was ever a mr o. But i have many quwstions about him.

How big were his arms when he was mr o? THey look small in his pics

What the hell happened to him after 1980? Did he just vanish? retire? injury? did he compete and just keep losing?

i heard he smashed his third place sandow in the parking lot after 80 mr o true?

how much did he weigh in at in 80 mr o? he looks like a buck fifty lol

aby o9ne else notice that every single one of his poses is just an ab pose?. every pictue of him is the exact same

despite all the negative hthings i have said about zane he gives me hope because i too have weak biceps and it gives me hope if he did so can i.

Sparky_dustin is offline IFBB Heavyweight
    Back then it wasnt just about being Big and bulky it was about who brought the best presented package to the stage, I'm not sure what his measurements were but he had the shape and the lines that the judges were looking for at that time, you got to admit though he is probably one of the most symetrical body builders ever.
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

SHADOW2492 is offline NPC Lightweight
    There is Zane next to arnold, no way he looks like a buck 50 he weighed 185-190 in competition, I have heard 19 inch arms.

aby o9ne else notice that every single one of his poses is just an ab pose?. every pictue of him is the exact same
    I am guessing you havent really looked for frank zane pics with such an ignorant attitude.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AlteredBeast is offline NPC Heavyweight
    In Authur Jones diaries and Ellington Dardens memoirs (creator of HIT, protege-respectively), they point out that Zane's arms were closer to 17 inches. I personally don't really care about Zane. He was a guy who was naturally ripped all the time, and didn't have to do a lick of cardio to have a shredded waistline. The complete Anti-thesis of my body-type. Needless to say, I can't relate to that man nor do I see any inspiration from his body.

Dylan5000 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    C'mon, Zane was like a Greek God. Perectly proportioned.

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredBeast
    In Authur Jones diaries and Ellington Dardens memoirs (creator of HIT, protege-respectively), they point out that Zane's arms were closer to 17 inches. I personally don't really care about Zane. He was a guy who was naturally ripped all the time, and didn't have to do a lick of cardio to have a shredded waistline. The complete Anti-thesis of my body-type. Needless to say, I can't relate to that man nor do I see any inspiration from his body.
    So Who's body type would inspire you?

the bad-asses who work out the hardest-because that's indicative to what I have to do to see gains, Like Mike Mentzer, Casey Viator, and Arnold from that era, Then in the eighties, Lee Labrada, Rich Gaspari, and Haney. Fom the nineties, Dorian Yates, and everyone trying to catch up to him. These days I like Quincy Taylor, Branch Warren, Mark Dugdale, Jay Cutler and bunch of other atheletes I admire.

good choices, of all those Haney inspires me the most.

rkl0165 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan5000
    C'mon, Zane was like a Greek God. Perectly proportioned.
    So who wouldnt want to look like Frank Zane? Maybe Jay Cutler wouldnt but I sure as hell would!....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_dustin
    good choices, of all those Haney inspires me the most.
    Who wouldnt want to look like Lee Haney? Man just looked him up on classicbodybuilders.com...1 big dude! Gee who wouldnt want to look like any of those guys did in their prime? I guess that's why we go to the gym!

Mygeeto is offline Banned
    symetrical=excuss for not being as big as u can possibly get

tjbentham is offline NPC Heavyweight
    size for sizes sake is a sad endeavour imo, the direction the judging has gone is dissapointing to say the least

There is nothing appealing to me about a mass monster body style.

theroymccoy is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mygeeto
    symetrical=excuss for not being as big as u can possibly get

Sounds like somebody's compensating for something...

(He has a small weiner.)

fenianclans is offline NPC Lightweight
    I think he had 16 inch arms and one of the most perfectly proportioned Mr O's ever

lithium_09 is offline NPC Super Heavyweight
    so let me get this straight, you think its better to have a big, ugly, drug-bloated physique with swollen, strange-looking 22 inch arms than to have a body that looks like a piece of art with 17 inch arms that look much bigger than that because of the great conditioning?
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by lithium_09
    so let me get this straight, you think its better to have a big, ugly, drug-bloated physique with swollen, strange-looking 22 inch arms than to have a body that looks like a piece of art with 17 inch arms that look much bigger than that because of the great conditioning?
    thanks,I feel a lot better about my arms now..22 inch arms just don't occur naturally..unless of course you weigh 37

nickflex85 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    i think a lot of peoples minds are corrupted.. dont get me wrong, everyone has their own opinion... i just mean it in the sense that now a days bodybuilders are the biggest ever. so that what we see, and all we know (i hope you know what i mean) i know a lot of ppl dont want to look like ronnie and jay but thats what we see as number one, or "the best". ronnie and frank... both at thier best, one gets injured and cant lift for one year.. who would look better.. frank!! ok, ok, bad example. but obviously at the time he was good enough to win. they couldnt let anyone just pick up the sandow. so they had thier reasons. i like his body, i wouldnt want to look like that my goal would to be bigger, but i wouldnt mind looking like that. he is very detailed and looks healthy. compare arnold to markus ruhl or our new mr O (i love arnolds body i thnk its one of the best of all time) he's 6'2 and like 235 competition. thats so little but he won a lot. to make fun of frank zane is pretty dumb, a lot of ppl think he's too small and if they wanted to or not they would never be able to look like him.

nickflex85 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    we could say what we want. but no matter what we say he still has like 3 mr.O's under his belt.

kenney is offline NPC Lightweight
    Quote Originally Posted by nickflex85
    we could say what we want. but no matter what we say he still has like 3 mr.O's under his belt.
    lol tooshay
    Our Youth Must Always Be Free, Discussing And Exhanging Ideas Concerned With What Is Happening Throughout The Entire World - Che Guevara

One Day, Someone Showed Me A Glass Of Water That Was Half Full And He Said, "Is It Half Full Or Half Empty?" So I Drank The Water. No More Problem. - Alexander Jodorowsky

Cerberus is offline NPC Lightweight
    Personally I think Zane sucked and I can't see how he became Mr Olympia. Great proportions on his upper body, terrible legs and he was way too small!
    I want bigger muscles and more definition!

IronTooks is offline NPC Heavyweight
    Hes nothing special. Sure he's a big part of the sport, but hes not spectacular.

Dylan5000 is offline NPC Heavyweight
    I won't lie though, I like Zane but I think Mike Mentzer had a much mroe impressive physique: same aesthetic qualities with more mass.

I don't think zane sucked, I think he was good for then and an inspiration then, but now I look up to different bodybuilders, bigger bodybuilders. I'll admit though, you wouldn't hear me complaining if suddenly I were endowed with his body. I think Zane is the embodiment of what an average man envisions, and I would Agree with that. ........I draw inspiration from massive bodybuilders but I dream of looking like the symmetrical, flowing, artistic type of bodybuilders like Bertil Fox, Mike Mentzer, Casey Viator, Boyer Coe, Sergio Oliva, Lee labrada, Rich Gaspari, Kevin Levrone, flex, and Dexter.

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredBeast
    I don't think zane sucked, I think he was good for then and an inspiration then, but now I look up to different bodybuilders, bigger bodybuilders. I'll admit though, you wouldn't hear me complaining if suddenly I were endowed with his body. I think Zane is the embodiment of what an average man envisions, and I would Agree with that. ........I draw inspiration from massive bodybuilders but I dream of looking like the symmetrical, flowing, artistic type of bodybuilders like Bertil Fox, Mike Mentzer, Casey Viator, Boyer Coe, Sergio Oliva, Lee labrada, Rich Gaspari, Kevin Levrone, flex, and Dexter.
    I wouldnt mind waking up looking like any of them..tho it would be kind of scairy to wake up and look like Cutler..

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus
    Personally I think Zane sucked and I can't see how he became Mr Olympia. Great proportions on his upper body, terrible legs and he was way too small!
    Arnold was the same way, He had an upper body like a brick ****house but had legs like Zane and he still went for 7 O's

insano is offline NPC Heavyweight
    if symmetry=excuse because you cant get big than
    mass=excuse to look bloated, overdrugged, fat and completely unaesthetic.

Bodybuilding is judged on more than mass. also more than symmetry, or definition. its a combo.

The problem i think is that back then, mass was different, someone like arnold was considered a mass-monster. Zane wouldnt have been considered so "small"

Looking back now, yeh they didnt have what is now considered mass 230-240+ but they had everything else.
    These days most BB'ers have the mass but have lost all other aspects in the proces; no symmetry, no definition, no lines, no aesthetics, no symmetry

Also most of zanes pics flying round are competition time pics, zane often got up 200 pounds.

just my input

and yes im a zane fan

I agree 100%, todays bodybuilders are too focused on who can be the biggest instead of who can bring the best package to stage. If you put it in terms of art the Zane is a Rembrandt and Ronnie is finger paint.

kenney is offline NPC Lightweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_dustin
    I agree 100%, todays bodybuilders are too focused on who can be the biggest instead of who can bring the best package to stage. If you put it in terms of art the Zane is a Rembrandt and Ronnie is finger paint.
    lol finger paint...but ye people do they that you have to sculpt the body and bbing is art...but i don't see any masterpieces
    Our Youth Must Always Be Free, Discussing And Exhanging Ideas Concerned With What Is Happening Throughout The Entire World - Che Guevara

One Day, Someone Showed Me A Glass Of Water That Was Half Full And He Said, "Is It Half Full Or Half Empty?" So I Drank The Water. No More Problem. - Alexander Jodorowsky

Gone is the Golden era of bodybuilding where men were "works of art"...welcome to the industrial age where "bigger is better"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast